Friday 13 March 2015

Dining out with children


I love to dine out, whether it be a quick snack or sandwich, a hearty meal or just a cuppa and cake. However, dining out with a toddler and a baby makes me a bit apprehensive; when it comes to perusing the menu, I'm often left wondering what on earth to choose for myself and the boys to eat. Whilst at home, I encourage the boys to eat a wide variety of foods and insist that they eat fruit and vegetables. 

Recently when eating out, I've asked in a variety of restaurants and pubs about getting a healthy meal for children, including vegetables. As a result, I've been incredibly disappointed and on more than one occasion, told that 'we don't do vegetables'. The usual of chicken nuggets, burgers, fish fingers and sausages, served with chips often don't appeal to me (or the boys!) I don't believe that this is acceptable and I've been researching local restaurants and pubs (Tyne and Wear) who cater for our needs.

Valley Farm in Team Valley is a place we've frequented recently as a family. They serve a carvery with a wide selection of vegetables and a varied main menu; it fits the bill for family dining. It includes 3 types of meat (usually beef, Turkey and gammon), multiple types of potatoes, to tasty parsnips and Yorkshire puddings; there's something for everyone (even the fussiest diner) available on the carvery. A small plate is enough to feed both of my boys. Priced at £4.95, it's great value and you can choose exactly what your child would eat. Recently, they've introduced a Golden menu, priced at £6.95 for 2 courses, with a choice of starters, mains (including a small carvery) and some great desserts. The chocolate brownie is delicious treat and was a big hit with us! The deal is a fantastic bargain and available Monday to Friday.


There's also a large entertainment space for children, where Noah loves to play on the computers and explore. It can become busy at weekends, so personally, I'd avoid then.


The Cakeaway is magnificent! With a choice of cakes to eat in or take away, priced at £4.25 for a huge slice! Noah took great pride in carrying it to the car. We'll be back for family dining soon!


Do you have any recommendations for eating out as a family in Tyne and Wear?

5 comments:

  1. Wish my kids were like yours and preferred a Sunday dinner instead of chips etc. Looks like a handy place for families with the entertainment area aswel :)

    www.littlefamily4.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nice family friendly place, well worth a visit. Their main menu is quite extensive too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want healthy options Jamies Italian is fab - salmon fish fingers and a shaker salad or free range chicken lollipops plus fresh juice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds fab! Will give Jamie's a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fab place. We don't eat out all that often but I do find I often have to choose something for the kids off an adult menu if I want it to be fairly balenced!

    ReplyDelete