Thursday 6 August 2015

The Unsung Heroes Of My Breastfeeding Journeys


Today, to conclude World Breastfeeding Week, I'd like to celebrate some individuals and organisations who have supported me throughout my breastfeeding journeys.

Firstly, my own mam. As a mother who has breastfed her own offspring, she has firsthand knowledge and experience of feeding. Always there, giving support, advice and geeing me on when I've felt like giving up. Even though she thought I was insane being hooked up to a breast pump so much, she gave unrivalled support. She's relished seeing her grandsons growing up to be happy and healthy on mummy's milk.

Organisations such as La Leche League are amazing. There's always someone day and night to give assistance and advice. I've had a few times when I've attended meetings or contacted them via Facebook for advice and they've been amazing. When you're sitting at home with ridiculously engorged breasts and in pain, LLL are on hand to take you step by step through it. 

Local Breastfeeding Peer support workers are a great help. Coming round to your home in the early days for a chat and talking through your journey and giving support where needed, passing on contact details on where to seek out support and giving ideas on positioning and discussing your concerns. Lovely ladies with hearts of gold!

Finally, my husband. As an avid advocate of breastfeeding, he's been a constant support throughout. In the early days with my firstborn, he praised my efforts of feeding, shared my frustrations and stresses when baby couldn't latch. Moreover, he surrounded me with love and humour at a time when I was doubting my own body's ability to feed my child. As I ended up expressing long term, he was always keen to wash bottles, bag and freeze milk (he also bought me a gift of a chest freezer for milk and named it 'The Booby Freezer'), cleaned my breast pump and most importantly, provide me with snacks and drinks when I was glued to the sofa. This time round, he's had it easier; no bottles, just boob. (So he's been delegated our toddlers bedtime! Rather him than me, as he's a monkey!) 

Thank you all for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment