Tuesday 4 August 2015

My take on World Breastfeeding Week!

In homage to World Breastfeeding Week, I thought I'd write a lighthearted piece about the realities of feeding. I'm currently feeding my 13 month old. 

1. Forge a good relationship with your postman or delivery driver. It's likely in your sleep deprived status, you'll flash at him when receiving your parcels. Worse still, accidentally spray him. My postie has witnessed some sights when delivering my Amazon bargains. Poor bloke!

2. In the early days, you'll spend a lot of time looking like you're entering a wet t shirt competition. With engorgement and excess milk, you'll likely compete with Pamela Anderson. I had a paediatric nurse laugh at how huge my boobs were 4 days post partum, they were like from a Carry On sketch! 

3. You'll find yourself shopping and trying on clothes and contorting yourself into strange positions to see if you can retrieve your boob. I bellowed to a friend, "well this dress is no good, I can't get my boobs out!" The elderly gentlemen waiting for his wife was a little taken aback by my outburst. I've recently discovered a Facebook group called Can I breastfeed in it? UK; where mums recommend clothes to each other that are perfect for feeding in and still remain stylish. It's costing me a fortune in pretty dresses, I just need an occasion to wear them to now! My 6 o clock, child induced curfew doesn't really permit a lot of it! 


4. You'll spend a fortune in coffee shops and cafes whilst out and about with baby and seek out the best feeding spots. My personal favourites are Pret and Debenhams.

5. In several places, you may get strange looks whilst feeding, abuse or sarcastic remarks. In some instances, use the opportunity to educate, otherwise ignore and just feed your little one. I've had a few instances of negativity. Even though the temptation is there, try to resist squirting these imbeciles with your milk; it's a waste of milk!

6. Feeding a toddler is a completely different ball game. The array of stretches your child can do whilst continuing to feed is incredible. I'm thinking of enrolling him in a gymnastics course, or sending him to the circus.

7. If you have a frequent feeder, it's very normal to feel 'touched out' sometimes. Make sure to make time for yourself. I've been known to say, "I'm going to have half an hour where nobody is touching me!" in order to overcome this. Note: squirting baby doesn't keep him at bay, it just entices him.

8. Oh, so your baby has teeth, you should stop feeding is a common remark I've heard. He's had teeth since 6 months, but it would be counterproductive if he bit me. His latch doesn't involve his teeth. In 13 months, he's bitten once and that was due to him sneezing. Yes, it hurt, but I'm alive to tell the tale!

9. Be prepared for bra shopping to be a nightmare, especially if you've got a larger bust. Nursing bras often resemble something your grandma would wear, so seek out pretty brands; Hotmilk and Cake Lingerie have lovely ranges!

10. Be prepared for a barrage of questions from friends and family; here are some of the most common;
* Are you still feeding?
* How long will you feed for?
* How often does he feed?
* Have you tasted your milk?
* Does he eat any food? (At 13 months I'm still asked this ridiculous question!)
* When are you going to go out drinking again? (Bottle refuser baby!)
* Are you allowed that glass of wine?
* Are you eating cake again?



In our home, it's natural and normal, it's not a taboo and it shouldn't ever be. It's simply feeding; I'm not a Superhero, I'm just a mum doing what I think is best for my baby. 

Feel free to share this with your mummy friends!

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of so much! My boobs were insane when my milk came in with Harriet, right up to my neck haha! Also been bitten too, my first was ebf till 16 months when she decided she had had enough and bit me! I almost hit the ceiling and my poor neighbours must have thought I was being murdered!! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. With my first, he was admitted to hospital with jaundice and my comical boobs were the talk of the ward! The nurse couldn't look at me without laughing.

    Feeding a toddler comes with its own set of challenges though and biting seems to be a key one. After 'the sneeze' I've got to admit that I sobbed at the sorry state of the bite mark and half a tube of Lansinoh later and I live to tell the tale! :-) x

    ReplyDelete