Sunday 7 December 2014

Should I breastfeed my baby in public?

This week, our media in the UK has been dominated by a story of a breastfeeding mum who was asked to use a napkin in order to feed in a discrete manner in Claridge's. From the images I've seen, this mum was more discrete whilst not using a cover. 

I feed my child in public, anywhere and everywhere; public transport, restaurants, baby groups, the homes of friends and family, the list is endless. My baby is a frequent feeder and at 5 months, this is his only sustenance. He is thriving on my milk and I'll continue to feed him when he needs it. I never cover my child, I tried in the early days, but he'd fuss, pull it off and refuse to feed. I will not be dictated to about the manner or the places that I should feed.

When I first had Isaac, I was incredibly self conscious and used to seek out very quiet places to feed. However, with a toddler in tow, this was somewhat problematic. I tried out a few feeding rooms, but these were often situated alongside changing units and were smelly and unhygienic! Now, I tend to find a comfy seat or a cafe to feed. 

Today, I've viewed an article in The Sun Newspaper. The article discussed the mum feeding in Claridge's and made references to this incident, suggesting that breastfeeding is like urinating, that you should do it in private. NO! Mums are more than capable of feeding in a discrete manner, therefore they can feed whenever, wherever! Breastfeeding is NOT like urinating. Breastfeeding is simply the act of sustaining your child with breastmilk, whereas urinating is removing a toxic substance from the body.

I now suggest that whoever penned this absolute nonsense at The Sun should take their lunch, set up in the loo and enjoy! In the meantime, I'll continue to feed my baby discretely regardless of where I am!

1 comment: