Tuesday 23 June 2015

Breastfeeding Awareness Week... Not in Babies R Us!

As you know from my earlier posting this week, it's Breastfeeding Awareness Week. Babies R Us on their UK Facebook page chose to make reference to it by advertising a machine that prepares formula (see below.)



I was flabbergasted at their ridiculousness. Perhaps they could've actually shown support for breastfeeding mothers by promoting products to support breastfeeding; a discount on a breast pump, nipple balm, nursing bras or breast pads perhaps? 

In the early days of breastfeeding, many mums have doubts about their ability to feed,  they may be suffering from mastitis, tender nipples or blocked ducts, their baby may be going through a growth spurt and frantically feeding around the clock. All normal, but when confronted with an advert such as yours, this may deplete their confidence and look at an alternative.

What Babies R Us have done is the opposite of normalising breastfeeding. They have actively chosen to promote a product during this time, even making reference to breastfeeding week in the advertisement. 

I have 2 'perfect prep' God given machines, no need for electricity, cables or any additional purchases. They don't take up a ghastly amount of room on my kitchen bench, the milk is ready 24/7 and at the perfect temperature, with no need to wait. 


Thanks to people who give support to breastfeeding, we're still feeding at almost a year. I just hope that your online marketing team think before advertising products that actively discourage breastfeeding, especially during Breastfeeding Awareness Week.

6 comments:

  1. I think that's wrong tbh they're jumping on the bandwagon of breastfeeding week to advertise formula! talk about a tedious link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Completely bad timing and the way they've phrased it is appalling. In my opinion, it'll instil doubt in new mums who are at an early stage of their feeding journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanne,

    I've loved reading your posts through my pregnancy and becoming a mam. They've been really insightful and well written (I especially loved your must have baby items post), but really wanted to comment on this post.

    I'm not necessarily supporting the use of breastfeeding awareness week to sell a counter product, but I own a perfect prep machine.

    It was bought for me before the arrival of my daughter, and I was annoyed with the purchaser as I was going to breastfeed my baby and how dare they buy it for me. I shoved the thing to the back of an upstairs cupboard.

    Then when my baby arrived, things didn't go to plan. My baby wouldn't latch on, she would scream and arch her back and push me away and shake her fists unti she vomited. Every two hours, for almost two weeks we tried breast feeding, the screams and the sobbing, my baby not getting what she needed and me feeling like a failure as a mam. We had amazing support from midwives and nurses and breastfeeding teams but no one could get it to work. Half my body and half baby not latching/interested. I was advised to move on to EBM and formula. I expressed for as long as my milk lasted (about 3 weeks) topping up with formula. The machine coming out the cupboard and proved to be a godsend.

    Although baby is nearly 10 weeks and those dark days feel like a distant memory, I still sometimes feel like a failure as a mam as I wasn't able to do the most basic instinctive thing and feed my baby. I'm constantly reminded of 'breast is best' and 'no milk like Mam's milk' every time I buy formula, see doctors, or look at blogs or 'mum-sites' online.

    You hear in the media constantly about breast feeding women being told to cover or stop feeding in public, but I have twice been approached while bottle feeding my baby in public, and told that breast feeding would be better for her.

    There's not and never will be a Formula Feeding Awareness Week, or a Mams That Tried But Were Unable To Breastfeed Awareness Week, and that's fine. But the world isn't so black and white and mothers aren't divided into two camps: those who chose to breastfeed and those that chose the bottle.

    I saw this advert and it made me smile, that in a week that promotes the awesomeness of breastfeeding Mams (sore sore subject), there's a mention for us Mams that tried and it didn't work out. And that it's fine.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura. Thanks for commenting and congratulations on the birth of your beautiful bundle. I'm sorry that you've had such a rocky road into motherhood; I know from experience that it isn't always plain sailing and it can be a real challenge. The frustrations, guilt and negative feeling can be all consuming. I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered such rude people whilst feeding your little one. Nobody knows your personal journey, so they shouldn't be so quick to judge.

      One of the main purposes of Breastfeeding Awareness Week is to normalise breastfeeding; as many Mums voice that they feel marginalised. Moreover, it's to make people aware that there is support out there; La Leche League and local Peer Supporters who are trained to give assistance.

      My blog wasn't written as an attack on mums who formula feed, but at my frustration at Babies R Us and their way of marketing this product. There are 52 weeks in a year, but one dedicated to breastfeeding awareness. Formula does have its place, but their way of marketing really struck a chord with me. Feeding your baby is an entirely personal choice and I'd never judge a mum on her choices. Xxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for replying Joanne, I'll continue to follow your blog with interest :) xx

      Delete
  4. Joanne you are right, sad fact is that celebrating breastfeeding is still demonised, we feel like we shouldn't shout from the rooftops because we might hurt the feelings of those who chose not to breastfeed. Well imho breastfeeding awareness week is about boobs nothing else it's not formula awareness week because goodness knows the formula companies have enough cash to be on the TV and in mags all the time!

    I'm proud to say I've fed 3 children for best part of 3 years and I rock as do all the other mummies who breastfeed.

    ReplyDelete