Saturday 16 May 2015

Hyperemesis Gravidarum Awareness Day

Today is hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) awareness day; a severe nausea and sickness suffered by some women during pregnancy and I suffered from this condition whilst pregnant with Noah. With almost constant sickness up until 32 weeks of pregnancy and being hospitalised on numerous occasions due to dehydration, I lost a lot of weight and felt so weak and struggled to come to terms with what I was enduring.

We so longed for a child and didn't anticipate the trials and stress that we'd be put through. I lost a lot of time at work, struggled to leave the house some days and had a lot of negative comments from people saying, "yeah, morning sickness is awful! Just get on with it!" I wish it was as simple as morning sickness; the constant queasiness and people's well meaning advice; try plain toast, crackers, ginger tea, sea sickness bands etc. You name it, I tried it and it didn't help. Our final option was to take anti emetic tablets to ease sickness, this unfortunately didn't work either. I was left feeling emotional, worrying about the health and welfare of my baby.

Eventually at 32 weeks, the sickness subsided and I felt a little more positive. When the time came to have Noah, I weighed less than my pre pregnancy weight. 



Luckily, I had a small, but healthy baby, but it can have such a negative impact upon your mental health. So please, if someone is diagnosed with this condition, please give them your support, they'll need it. 


1 comment:

  1. Truly awful stuff! Forgot I had those sea sickness bands too- I think I tried it all! Fortunately the anti emetics worked for me, don't know how you coped till 32 weeks! Xx

    ReplyDelete