Friday 8 May 2015

Cleft Lip And Palate Awareness Week 2015

From 9th-17th May, this week has been set aside for Cleft Lip And Palate Awareness Week. During this time, around the country, people are raising awareness of CLAPA and educating people about their experiences of Cleft Lip And Palate.


Just over a year ago, we received the news that our second son, Isaac would have a cleft lip and possibly palate. I made it my mission to raise awareness and money for CLAPA. Over the last year, we have held two fundraising events and I've written a column in Prima Baby magazine for 10 months, we've also featured on the CLAPA website and I've appeared on local radio. My step dad has also competed in a charity boxing event to raise money for CLAPA and at Prima Baby HQ, they had a sale of baby items with money going to CLAPA too.


For me, this isn't just a week to educate and inform; I do this every day. I've made it my mission to support Isaac in every way possible and by educating people about our experiences and thoughts, I aim to raise awareness at every opportunity. 



Isaac is a happy and healthy little boy, who has an infectious laugh and a smile to melt your heart. He's now 6 months post operation, he's healing well and has a small scar on his lip that is gradually fading. Isaac will still require further surgery to repair a gap in his gum. This will be when he is around 8-10 years old and is likely to be a bone graft from his hip. He'll also require extensive dental treatment, as his teeth will need to be straightened. 


CLAPA are a fantastic charity who do so much great work in the cleft community, supporting families from diagnosis and beyond; 

http://www.clapa.com/donate/ 
Please donate to them if you are able to. Do you know anyone with a cleft lip or palate? Please encourage them to share their cleft story this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment